At Proper Crisps we know you deserve real food. You shouldn’t have to settle for over-processed, artificially flavoured potato chips, you’re worthy of crisps without compromise! And that’s exactly what we deliver at Proper Crisps. Founded in 2007, our current owners Ned and Mina became the Head Potatoes in 2010. They have worked with a dedicated team of potato professionals, to cultivate Proper Crisps from seed to success. There’s a reason we’re the fastest growing snack company in New Zealand.
It’s because we like to do things… Well… Err… Properly; and we believe that starts from the ground up. Here’s our recipe to ensure you dig Proper Crisps.
Proper Ingredients - Potato Crisps
We use the finest New Zealand potatoes, sourcing the Agria Potato whenever possible.
We still source our awesome Agria’s from Simon, the same third-generation South Island Temuka farmer that we’ve worked with since we began. That’s right, we’re on first name terms with our growers! But let's not forget our other family of farmers who we work closely with to ensure their farming practices meet our exacting standards.
But we don’t stop there, we then cook your crisps in the best quality High Oleic Sunflower Oil, using both Canterbury-grown, Expeller Pressed Sunflower Oil and High Quality Imported Sunflower Oil when neccessary. This smooth operator is high in unsaturated fat, low in saturated fat, and has no trans fat, we don’t accept anything less!
P.S You'll never find Palm Oil in our bags, the Orangutans will thank you for it! And what about the salt? Your Proper Crisps contain only the finest Marlborough Sea Salt, sourced from the snowy stacks that grace the landscape at Lake Grassmere. Proper Crisps are always 100% Natural. They are Gluten, Dairy, GMO-Free and Vegan Friendly, with no added MSG.
The Proper cooking process
The selection process that a potato must go through to reach the ranks of a Proper Crisp is rigorous, we lovingly hand sort and trim our spuds, it’s how we place the sunshine in every bag! Once they’ve passed the intake inspection, they are sliced to the optimum thickness, and begin their path to becoming a perfect Proper Crisp.
They are cooked and hand stirred in small batches, then inspected again as part of their passing out parade… Just before the flavour magic happens! The person in charge each batch is so proud of what they do, their name is printed on each pack beside the use by date – when the cook changes the name on the pack changes too.
Proper Flavour - Things that make you go hhhhhmmm!
Proper Recognition - It’s time to toot our horn and crunch our crisp!
Proper Crisps, don’t just taste great… All our products are 100% natural. They are gluten, dairy, GMO free and vegan friendly, with no added MSG. We think that deserves a small pat on the back and it seems others do too.
- 2019 Finalist NZ Food Awards - Purple & Gold Potatoes with Cracked Pepper & Sea Salt
- 2019 Finalist Artisan Awards - Purple & Gold Potatoes with Cracked Pepper & Sea Salt and Organic Potatoes with Marlborough Sea Salt
- 2019 WINNER Healthy Food Guide Awards, Crackers and Snacks - Marlborough Sea Salt Crunch Corn
- 2018 Finalist NZ Food Awards - Marlborough Sea Salt Crunch Corn
- 2018 Finalist Outstanding NZ Food Producer Awards - Garden Medley
- 2017 WINNER NZ Food Awards - Kumara Chipotle and Garlic
- 2017 Finalist NZ Food Awards - Garden Medley
- 2017 Finalist Outstanding NZ Food Producer Awards - Parsnip Crisps
- 2015 WINNER The Healthy Food Guides Award for Best Allergy Friendly Treat - Marlborough Sea Salt Proper Crisps
- 2015 Finalist NZ Food Awards – Apple Cider Vinegar & Sea Salt Proper Crisps
- 2013 Finalist NZ Food Awards - Marlborough Sea Salt Proper Crisps
- 2010 WINNER Cuisine Award – Marlborough Sea Salt Proper Crisps